1. Stay Active
We all know that over the holiday season it can be hard to stay completely on track with food as we have gatherings every second day 😉 but what we can control is staying active.
Just because you have gatherings on doesn’t mean you can’t move your body for at least 20 minutes every day. Try and keep to your training routines, even if you have to get up a little earlier or go to the gym a little later to fit around all of your socialising. If you are finding it hard to get to the gym, find 20 minutes a day to go for a coastal walk, explore the national parks, take your family rock climbing, go for a swim at the beach or take your dog for an extra twilight stroll.
Make the time to move your body so that when the festive season quietens down you won’t struggle to get back into training.
2. Eat more Protein
Protein has the highest thermic effect out of all the macronutrients (carbs, fats and proteins). This means that it takes the most amount of energy (calories) for your body to break down – naturally by eating more protein your body will expend more calories.
Another reason for eating more protein is because it has a satiating effect, keeping us fuller for longer. When we are full it is less likely that we will over eat. You can even try having a high protein meal before you head out to a gathering or function to avoid massive binge eating.
3. Follow the 70/30 Rule
The 70/30 Rule allows for 70% of our foods to come from wholefood sources and the other 30% to come from wherever we choose. This rule is going to allow for some structure in our day to day eating but also flexibility.
We recommend not restricting yourself because this could possibly lead to you missing out on precious moments and memories with your loved ones, binge eating & a negative mental space around food.
If you know that you have an event in the evening, make sure that you are choosing healthy, nutritious options throughout the day and then enjoy yourself that evening with no guilt attached.
4. Bring Your Favourite Healthy’ish Dish To The Party
Make your favourite raw treats, a healthy pizza or even bring some hummus and veggies! This way you can snack the night away knowing that your not eating tonnes of processed foods that will upset your tummy & you also won’t feel like your missing out.
5. Select a Smaller Plate
When your out at parties, functions, get togethers or you have guests over.. Go for a smaller plate. It’s often when we choose big plates we feel like we have to fill the whole plate up. By choosing a smaller plate, we feel like we are eating lots and not missing out. Once you have finished your food, have some water and let your food settle before deciding if you are actually hungry for more or you are actually satisfied.